When you think of how to build a garage storage, you probably think of a neatly organised hub of all things DIY. But let's face it, that's probably not the case. Many of us end up turning our garages into a makeshift tip that you enter at your own risk. If this is you, then it's time to think about decluttering your garage, and at G-Rack, we have a fantastic range of garage storage racking solutions to get you started.
Tidying the garage is likely to be at the bottom of your to-do list, alongside organising your desktop and sorting your inbox. But don't worry, you're not alone.
In the UK, 39% of drivers say they can no longer fit their car in the garage due to mess. A RAC study showed that 4.6 million of Britain's 10.6 million garages are used solely for storing clutter.
So, if you're within the 50% of UK homeowners who admit that the garage is the most dis-organised area of the house, you might want to check out G-Rack's guide to garage clutter storage solutions.
Start Decluttering Garage Space
Do you still need to get a garage storage plan? Fret not; beginning your journey to a tidy garage is simple - set aside some time for cleaning and make a plan. You don't want to rush to declutter the garage, so give yourself a few hours to get going.
Next, you need to get rid of what you don't need. There are probably a few bikes the kids have outgrown, a rusty old BBQ set, and a broken fridge that you can't believe you still own. It's best to organise everything into piles: what you want to keep, what you can sell, and what you want to throw away.
- Set aside a day for cleaning
- Make a plan
- Organise your items into piles
Organise what you want to keep
Next, you need to organise what your 'keep' pile is. You may have some exercise equipment, golf clubs, gardening tools and more. Now that you're your new organised self, you want to avoid chucking them all in a corner to forget about (again).
With all this extra space, you can imagine your new garage layout. Now is the time to consider where things are going and what format will help you maximise your space.
Thankfully, G-Rack’s Garage organisation ideas for businesses/houses in the UK provide valuable insights into creating an efficient and well-organised garage space.
- Give away or sell the stuff you don't want
- Sort out your 'keep' pile
- Think about layout
- Organise your items into piles
Find the right garage storage plan of action
Now, you're standing in your lovely, clutter-free garage with your stuff piled in various corners on the floor. Where can I find a solid garage storage solution? Well, that's where we come in.
At G-Rack, we have a fantastic range of shelves for the garage and a sturdy racking system for garages like yours to help you get the most out of your garage space. Everyone has different storage requirements, so we've broken down our product range to help you build the best garage racking system for your space.
5 Tier Boltless Shelving Unit (set of 2) | 150 X 75 X 30 cm
Let's start with standard garage shelving units. Our standard shelving units are perfect for storing tools, toys, boxes, and more. With 175 kg of load weight per tier, you can easily organise multiple items. These units have robust metal constructions, with thick MDF boards and stainless steel support beams for extra durability.
If you have more stuff to organise or want to set up a DIY station, think about creating a racking system for the garage. You can combine our freestanding garage storage racks along a wall and even add some corner racking to utilise your space fully.
You can check out our long-span shelving if you have more space to work with. We know space can be hard to come by, so if you need more room, you can look at our reduced-space boltless shelving units. We also have a selection of garage workbenches that can add extra storage tiers while providing a worktop space, ideal for all you DIY enthusiasts.
5-Tier Heavy Duty Boltless Shelving Unit (Set of 2) | 180 X 120 X 45 cm
You might have some bulkier items to organise, and that's not a problem, thanks to our range of heavy-duty garage shelving. These robust units have a massive 265kg of load weight per tier so you can load them intensively. Our heavy-duty shelving is complete with 6.8mm thick, moisture resistant MDF boards that tackle heavy loads comfortably.
5 Tier Heavy Duty Boltless Shelving Unit | 180 X 120 X 45 cm
Best of all, our shelves for garages come with an easy-build boltless design, so you can get set up quickly without any fuss.
Next, you need to make sure your garage shelving units look the part. Our shelving is available in blue, red, black, and grey powder-coated finishes. We also provide units with anti-corrosion galvanised metal.
You can view our full garage shelving range here.
- Think about your items
- Pick the right storage for you
Statistics and Examples: The High Cost of a Cluttered Garage
It's common for garages to become disorganised, leading to many issues affecting homeowners. Let's take a closer look at the real-life consequences:
- Accidents and Safety Concerns: According to NIH, cluttered garages contribute to yearly accidents. Tripping over tools, stumbling on boxes, or encountering hidden hazards can cause injuries, emphasising the critical need for garage organisation.
- Wasted Space: Surprisingly, a cluttered garage often means that a substantial portion of valuable space must be utilised more. Many homeowners could use their garage for storage, hobbies, or a functional workspace if properly organised.
- Financial Impact: Cluttered garages often lead to financial implications. Homeowners may end up purchasing items they already have but need help locating. This doubles the cost and contributes to unnecessary expenditure.
One striking example comes from a user who, after investing in a G-Rack garage storage solution, reported a substantial reduction in accidents, regained usable space for a home gym, and saved money by avoiding duplicate purchases.
These examples underscore the importance of decluttering and organising the garage for safety and maximising this valuable space's potential.
Benefits of a Tidy Garage
An organised garage offers a range of advantages, making it a valuable addition to your home. With the right garage store plan, you can achieve improved safety, easy access to tools and equipment, and enhanced functionality.
- Enhanced Safety: A well-organised garage reduces the risk of accidents. You won't have to navigate clutter and potential hazards, ensuring a safer environment for you and your family.
- Effortless Tool Access: Building a garage storage racking system in place means your tools are neatly stored and easily accessible—no more searching for that missing wrench or screwdriver.
- Optimised Functionality: With a clear garage space storage plan, you can utilise the garage space more efficiently. Whether you're implementing a pallet garage idea, installing garage storage racks, or simply organising the garage, everything has its place, maximising the functionality of the space.
- Stress-Free Decluttering: Automating garage clutter storage solutions allow you to declutter efficiently. It's simpler to distinguish items you no longer need, making the how-to declutter your garage process a breeze.
A tidy garage enhances your home's safety and functionality, reduces stress, and saves you time searching for items. It's a worthwhile investment in convenience and peace of mind.
How to declutter and tidy your garage with these tips & tricks!
Organising your garage can be a manageable task. With these practical tips and tricks, you can streamline the process and achieve a clutter-free garage space in no time:
- Clear Storage Bins: Opt for clear plastic storage bins to quickly identify the contents without rummaging through boxes. Label them for even quicker access.
- Pegboard Power: Install pegboards on the walls to hang tools, gardening equipment, and even bicycles. It keeps them off the floor and adds a touch of organisation to your space.
- Shelving Solutions: Invest in sturdy garage storage racking or garage shelving units to maximise vertical space. Different-sized shelves can accommodate a variety of items, from paint cans to sporting gear.
- Categorise Items: Group similar items together, such as sports equipment, gardening tools, and seasonal decorations. This makes it easier to locate what you need when you need it.
- Use Hooks: Install hooks for extension cords, hoses, or ladders. They'll stay untangled and within arm's reach.
- Ceiling Storage: Remember the ceiling! Overhead storage racks are excellent for rarely-use items, like holiday decorations.
- Regular Maintenance: Dedicate time for regular garage maintenance. Set a schedule for decluttering, cleaning, and ensuring everything remains organised.
- Label Everything: Labels aren't just for boxes. Use labels on shelves, drawers, and containers to create a well-organised system.
- Emergency Items: Keep essential emergency items accessible, like fire extinguishers and first-aid kits.
- Donate or Sell: If you come across items you no longer need, consider donating or selling them. It's a win-win for decluttering and recycling.
By incorporating these tips and tricks into your garage organisation plan, you can transform your cluttered space into an efficiently organised and user-friendly area, ready for any task or project that comes your way.
Keep it tidy!
Finally, the easiest part - keep your garage tidy! Don't go back to your old, cluttered ways. Make sure you dedicate a little time to keeping your garage neat and avoid overloading it with an unwanted mess.
For all of your home storage needs, visit us at our website, or give us a call on 0191 500 6000 to speak to our friendly UK team.